Thanks to lots of hard work by Emily B, Eric, Nick, Andy P, Emily S, Brent, and others we have a fantastic technical teams course put together. For route names as they are listed below, refer to the Brighton Trail Map and www.wbskiing.com. Here is a map of the course.
Here is a detailed course description:
- Start at Milly Chalet and ascend far skiers right of Brighton Resort. Climb Evergreen to Twin Lakes Dam and continue on to Backdoor to the top of Milly Express lift and CP-1
- Traverse skiers right from the top of the lift and follow the flags down Lone Pine to Milly Chalet and CP-2
- Follow the groomed track from Milly Chalet to Brighton Lode
- DO NOT FOLLOW SATURDAY’S COURSE
- From the corner, continue straight up through the cabins
- Follow the flagging right into Milly Bowl/Screen Slope and join the climb from Saturday
- Boot through the cliff bands
- Skin to the base of the Elevator
- Ascend the Elevator via the fixed rope – Harness, Ascender, and Via Ferrata Kit required
- Mt Milly is CP-3
- From the top of the rope, go left and continue to boot down the ridge.
- After about 30M, you will attach to a down climb rope. Use of your via ferrata kit is required on this rope
- At the end of the rope, transition to skiing and ski on the ridge.
- DO NOT LEAVE THE RIDGE
- Ski down the east ridge of Mt Millicent to the north side of Lake Mary Dam and CP-4
- Ascend the north facing ridge to False Pioneer Peak
- This is a narrow technical skin.
- The left side of the ridge is corniced, so use caution to stay away from the left ridge. Do not go left of the flags on this ridge.
- Traverse Pioneer Ridge to CP-5 at the top of Green Slope
- Descend from Pioneer Ridge and follow the ascent from Saturday to CP-6 in Snake Creek
- Ascend the ridge looker’s left of Saturday’s descent of Preston Peak to CP-7 at the summit of Preston Peak
- Descent the ridge line to the top of Snake Creek Express Lift
- Go left before the top of the lift and ski Doyle’s Dive under the Snake Creek Express Lift
- Merge left onto Deer Park
- Descent just to skiers right of the Terrain Park and ski down Hawkeye
- Go left on Hawkeye Access and follow this to CP-8 at the main Brighton base
- There will be HEED at this checkpoint for the racers
- There is an 11:15AM cut-off at the checkpoint
- Ascend Hawkeye Access to the base of Snake Creek Express Lift
- Continue up the left side of the lift and ascend the trees between Thor and Sunshine to Snake Creek Pass
- Go left and follow the cat track to the base of the South Ridge of Clayton Peak
- Transition for the long booter to the top of Clayton Peak (CP-9)
- Reach CP-10 at the top of Clayton Peak
- Descend from Clayton Peak following Saturday’s course down Brown Spot and into Hidden Canyon
- Continue down Hidden Canyon staying right on the open trail until you reach CP-11
- Racers will ascend through the trees until they reach the cat track coming down to Elk Park Ridge. This is the same ascent as Saturday.
- Racers will ascend the right side of the cat track to CP-12.
- CAUTION: there will be downhill traffic on this section.
- Drop down from to the right from CP-12 and ski Rein’s Run to Lone Star to the base of Snake Creek Express Lift.
- Continue past the base of the lift and go left on Scout
- Follow Scout and stay left to traverse through the Brighton Base are. Stay above Brighton Lodge and follow the cat track around the lodge, then skate across the cat track on the south side of the parking lot to the finish line at Milly Chalet.
- Watch for Downhill Traffic while traversing across the Brighton Base
- The last section of this descent is the first climb from Saturday’s race