The Sprint Event is on!!! We will have the sprint event around 11:00 AM on race day (March 10).
Location: Millicent base up to the first flat landing – GREAT SPECTATOR LOCATION
- The course is a loop: with the finish line very close to the start line.
- the typical “Sprint” course profile will contain COMPULSORILY the following parts:
1st part on skis: Approximately 50/60 m elevation.
- After the start, approximately 200 m of moderate slope
- The slope then becomes steeper, but has to be easily skiable (not too steep)
- This part should be rather wide to enable athletes to overtake easily.
- The track has to avoid strong diagonal slopes, or be fit out if it is necessary
- The circuit should be
- A figure of ’8′, so athletes can choose the most advantageous route.
- In parallel (3 paths at least)
In this case, the athlete must keep his initial path during the whole part on skis.
It is prohibited changing one path for another by cutting the marked turns, except when overtaking.
2nd part on foot: Approximately 20/30 m of positive difference of height
- This part must have at least 4 parallel tracks
- The ascent is made with skis attached to the rucksack
- According to the available ground, the part on foot can be followed, for the men (Senior and Espoir), by another short part on ski in ascent.(+ 10 m)
- The slope must be wide, with an even packed surface
- The descent must be fitted out with turns, marked with blue and red flags, (as used for giant slalom).
- The athlete must pass through each one of the gates
4th part: The finish area
- The circuit must finish on a flat area or with a slight ascent, so that competitors must use skating technique up to the finish line
- The last 40 meters of the course will be set up with a minimum of three wide lanes of 3 m approximately.
- During this part of the race, each athlete should stay in lane. Athletes may go out of lane to overtake,
- Start racers in heats of 6 racers
- Depending on the number of racers, run a semi-finals and finals
- Top 2 finishers in each heat move onto the next round.
- If there are not enough heats to fill a 6 racer final, then ‘lucky losers’ will get selected based on the next fastest times.
- There will only be 2 categories: Men and Women